Friday, September 5, 2014

Back To School



School is back in full swing, and we are transitioning from summer break quite nicely. Our beach days are dwindling, I still squeeze in some beach nights, soccer has begun, and so has the homework. If you are like me you will crave a schedule and routine right from the start. I have found a few helpful tips that help make our mornings, and evenings a little smoother.

  • Lay out school clothes the night before. Bam! If B knows hat as soon as he wakes up he gets dressed in these certain clothes, it takes the struggle out of the morning routine. There is no scramble of what to wear, since it was decided 12 hours before hand.
  • Set an alarm for your child.  I learned that my son responds well to having his own alarm clock. He feels a little more grown up, and it is a fun way to make sure he wakes in time to complete all of his morning responsibilities. I feel like he was less apt to listen to me when I go into his room and wake him over and over again.
  • Let your child help make his/her own lunch. If your child is involved in choosing his own foods for the day, he is much more likely to eat them. Plus, this is a fun way to spend time with them before you send them off for the whole day. (I miss mine.)
  • Allow for mishaps. This is a big one for us. I have learned to allow 10 extra minutes to our morning in case something unexpected happens. Usually the unexpected, (or annoyingly expected) is a last minute #2 bathroom break. My boys take forever in there. :) We also have the occasional spilled milk on clothes, or shoes that just don't feel quite right.
  • Play before homework. This may sound backwards to you, but for us this method works the best. I feel like kids need some down time away from the structure of school before they jump right into homework. Let them run around outside for 30 minutes, have a healthy snack and then tackle the homework.
  • Bedtime before 8pm. We actually aim for 7pm, but I know many parents who push bedtime later and later. If we want our kids to be their best in the morning, they need to have adequate sleep each night.
 
I am hoping for a fantastic 2014/15 school year. Do you have any other helpful tips to share? Please leave them in a comment below.
 
Thanks for visiting, Kayla
 
*Image from tvnewscheck.com

No comments:

Post a Comment