Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Birch Bark Pretzels

I just love this time of year. I spend most of my time in the kitchen listening to Christmas music, sipping cocoa, and baking. I made these birch bark pretzels this past Sunday during a snow storm. The view out my window was beautiful. (I should have taken a picture.) I have admitted in the past that I am not Winter's number one fan, but snow around Christmas time just feels magical.

Making these treats this year was bittersweet for me. I enjoy the process, and the tradition, but I usually make them with my girlfriend Heidi, who just moved out of state. :( It was not the same without her, but I'm sure we will find a time in years to come to make them again. This Holiday treat is super easy, and delicious. They make great handouts for the mail carrier, UPS driver, and neighbors.

You will need:
Mini pretzel rods
White Chocolate
Dark or Milk Chocolate

The amounts will vary depending on how many you would like to make. I used two 12 ounce bags of pretzels with three 10 ounce bags of white chocolate, and one 10 ounce bag of dark chocolate.

Method:
Line the counter or cookie sheets with parchment paper. Melt the white chocolate in a double boiler or a pot of water with a glass bowl, as shown.
and spoon a little bit onto a plate. Roll each pretzel in the white chocolate and set aside on the parchment paper to cool and harden.
 
 
Once the white chocolate has formed to the pretzel, melt the dark or milk chocolate and drizzle over the pretzel rods to make a birch bark appearance.
That's it. These pretzels are so easy to make, you will enjoy getting a little messy. I package mine up in individual treat bags and tie them with some raffia. What sorts of Holiday treats are you making this year?

Thanks for visiting, Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment