Friday, February 7, 2014

Whipped Body Lotion

I have been wanting to make a body butter for awhile now. This actually came out more like a lotion consistency, but I'm okay with it. It was so much fun to make, and I love the finished product.  There is definitely some trial and error when you first attempt this, but it is all a learning experience right? Stay tuned for more posts like this one. I feel like a good lotion is essential for Maine winter survival.

You will need:
1 c. Organic Shea Butter
1/2 c. Organic Coconut Oil
1/2 c. Almond Oil
20 drops essential oil


Method:
Melt Shea butter and Coconut Oil in double boiler.(I use a glass bowl inside a medium saucepan.)


Once completely melted, set aside to cool for 30 minutes. Once cooled, add the almond oil and essential oil to the shea butter mixture. I used pomegranate essential oils. It is rejuvenating and helps with skin's firmness, and elasticity. Us mom's need all the help we can get. :) Chill in the freezer for about 45 minutes. This is an important step. Keep checking to see if your mixture has begun to solidify.
 
(Sorry I do not have a photo for this step. For some reason this particular photo will not load.) 
 
 
Once it has begun to set, whip the mixture with a hand mixer, until the mixture has this appearance of whipped frosting. It looks amazing. I used my stand mixer at first, but then switched to my hand mixer to gain better control. If your mixture does not whip enough, return it to the freezer for another 10 minutes or so, and re-whip it with the mixer. Mine looks like this:
 
 
This lotion makes my skin feel so soft. I love how my skin absorbs it instantly. Dry winter skin, I think so. Just remember, a little goes a long way.
Thanks for visiting, Kayla



No comments:

Post a Comment