Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Blueberry Orange Bread



I made this bread for my husband for father's day. Well, actually my two year old made it, and I helped.  This blueberry orange bread is my husband's ultimate favorite.  He was so excited. I felt guilty that it had been so long since I had made it, since the focus of my baking has been mainly gluten free.

 My husband and my oldest son were the only two who were able to take advantage of this treat, since my little guy and I both have some food intolerances that do not agree with this recipe.  None the less...this bread was gone in about 10 hours. Yes, they ate the entire loaf. :)

You will need:

2 tbs. butter
1/4 c. boiling water
1 tbs. grated orange peel
1/2 c. orange juice
1 egg
1 c. sugar
2 c. all purpose flour
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
1 c. fresh or frozen blueberries, thawed

Topping
1 tsp. grated orange peel
2 tbs. honey
2 tbs. orange juice

Method:

Combine butter and boiling water in a small bowl; add 1 tbs. grated orange peel and 1/2 cup orange juice.

In mixing bowl, beat egg and sugar until light and fluffy.  In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Beat into egg mixture a little at a time, alternating with the orange juice mixture, ending with the flour mixture.

Fold in blueberries. Grease and flour 9x5 loaf pan ,and spoon batter in. Bake at 350 for 55 minutes.

Combine 1 tsp. grated orange peel, 2 tbs. orange juice, and 2 tbs. honey. Spoon over hot bread.

Enjoy!!

*Original recipe found at About.com

No comments:

Post a Comment