Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Pecan date energy bars

These energy bars are the result of my experimenting in the kitchen without using coconut or peanut butter. Those two ingredients tend to be a staple for me, however I have learned that my stomach does not appreciate their overuse.

The ingredients I chose to make up this recipe created a pretty full energy bar. I eat one in the afternoon to help get myself through the day.

You will need:
2 1/2 c. pitted dates
1/2 c. raisins
1 c. gluten free oats
1/2 c. sunflower seed butter
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 tsp. cinnamon
1 c. pecans
1/4 c. cocoa nibs
1/4 c. chia seeds
1 tbs. raw honey
2 tbs. sunflower oil

In a food processor pulse dates, raisins, seeds and nuts. Your mixture should look like this.


 

Add remaining ingredients, and pulse until your mixture is thoroughly combined. Use a spatula to push down the sides if it looks like the mixture is not well incorporated. It should look like this.

 
Press the finished mixture into a parchment lined pan. I used a 9x13 here, but next time I will use an 8x8 to have thicker bars. Cover and chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. Cut into bars. I store mine in the freezer. They seem to hold a shape better once frozen, plus they are delicious cold.
 
 
 



No comments:

Post a Comment