Monday, July 14, 2014

5 Anti-inflammatory Foods

*Image found here*
As many of you know, I have been battling digestion issues, and have uncovered many food sensitivities as a result of a blood test. Before I learned which foods do not agree with my body I literally looked 6 months pregnant once I ate in the morning. This was both embarrassing, and uncomfortable.  Eating an anti-inflammatory diet has been essential to repair my stomach and reduce the  inflammation. I have taken several steps to remedy this problem, and so far it's working. I figure I cannot be the only one who silently suffers with digestion issues, so maybe this post will be helpful for someone. :)


 I decided to do a little research to find certain foods that help to reduce stomach inflammation. I discovered five foods that I am likely to eat, that can help reduce my gut inflammation.

#1. Leafy Greens- Particularly the dark leafy greens which are rich in Lutein, B vitamins and calcium.  Kale is packed full of nutrition, but does not rank high on my favorite foods list. I prefer spinach and green lettuce which are both high is vitamin A and C. Salads are a major go to food for me, so this one is easy to consume.

#2. Avocados- They are so....good for us, and delicious too. Avocados are considered "good fat" so why not indulge. The fat in an avocado reduces inflammation and increases the absorption of fat soluble nutrients. I slice them up and add them to my salads and sandwiches. I have yet to make a dressing using avocado's, but this would be a good substitute since I am avoiding mayo as it has eggs in it.

#3. Flaxseed-  I've learned that there are two components in flaxseed, ALA and lignans which help to reduce inflammation. I put flax in just about everything. I use it mixed with warm water as my egg replacer too. A spoonful in greek yogurt works well, or added to oatmeal.

#4. Chia seeds- The newly discovered super food is one of the best foods for your body. These tiny seeds contain mucin  which reduces inflammation in the digestive system. Being high in protein, antioxidant's, omega 3 fatty acid and fiber it is a one stop shop for your health. I add chia seeds to my cookies, bars and oatmeal recipes.

#5. Cruciferous vegetables-Cabbage, broccoli, bok choy, brussel sprouts, kale and cauliflower.These vegetables contain phytochemicals which provide anti-inflammatory protection which can reduce gut inflammation and the risk of many chronic diseases. Broccoli is eaten daily in my house.

If you experience stomach inflammation give some of these foods a try.

Thanks for visiting, Kayla

No comments:

Post a Comment